Quotes - Repair - Sales - Mass Production - FAQ
At American laser cutter we do all things laser cutting, in fact we are the only company in the country the combines laser cutter and laser etching sales, service, instruction, manufacturing, and installation. For those just wishing to make a single project we can help you bring your project to life from file creation all the way to product manufacturing. We also have the largest capacity for laser cutting Los Angeles. We are able to turn around large projects quickly.
American laser cutter is located at 501 S Avenue 17 unit A, Los Angeles, CA 90031
10AM to 6PM Monday through Friday by appointment only.
Closed all major holidays
Please call/text ahead for appointments or questions
This is our building
Facts and answers about American Laser Cutters.
I. Laser cutting questions
1. Q: Can you laser cut metal?
2. Q: Can you laser cut glass?
3. Q: Can you laser cut Vinyl or a record?
4. Q: What is the thickest you can cut?
A: We can cut up to 1 inch in certain materials but we don't recommend going over quarter inch.
5. Q: What is your standard turnaround time?
A: 1-3 business days for standard projects.
6. Q: Do you offer shipping or delivery?
7. Q: what can you cut?
A: For more information on materials we can cut please visit our materials page.
A: For more information on the types of projects we do please visit our projects page.
For more information on our laser cutting services please visit the Laser Cutting Quotes Section of our website.
II. Laser repair questions
1. Q: Do you repair Chinese laser cutters?
2. Q: Do you repair American laser cutters?
3. Q: How do you offer service around the country?
A: We offered two types of services, remote laser repair service using programs such as Skype, and We can drive or fly out to your location from Los Angeles.
4. Do you repair Ebay laser engravers?
For more information on our laser repair services please visit the Laser Cutter Repair section of our website.
III. General questions
1. Q: Are you open to the public?
A: Yes by appointment only. Monday through Friday 10 AM through 6 PM, closed all major holidays and weekends.
2. Q: What is your phone number?
3. Q: What is your email address?
4: What is your address?
A: 501 South Ave. 17 Los Angeles, CA 90031
Laser cutting materials
Can't laser cut list
These materials will damage or destroy the laser, humans, and potentially the entire shop (fire hazards).
WARNING: Many plastics are dangerous to cut, so it's important to know exactly what plastic you have
Chlorinated plastics (PVC, vinyl, pleather/artificial leather, Sintra, Kydex)
HDPE (milk bottle plastic)
Coated carbon fiber
Pressure treated wood
What materials can we laser cut?
We can laser cut various thicknesses of plastics, woods, paper, cloth, and more. We can cut parts up to 47″ × 31″ and the machine can hold up to four foot by three foot sheets. We stock Acrylic, wood, cardboard, and we can quickly obtain many other materials from local suppliers. You can also ship us your materials or drop them off at our store. For more information on materials that are laser cut safe please visit our laser cutting resources page.
Acrylic - absolutely the best plastic material for laser cutting. It is strong, comes in a variety of colors, and can allow you to create awesome visual effects with the laser cutter.
Wood - is a versatile material. You can use it to laser cut jewellery, fashion accessories, ornaments, decorations, custom containers, even furniture! We generally recommend birch or pine for laser cutting, etching, and engraving.
Paper - both cuts and etches very well. You can even use the laser cutter to partially cut through to make paper bend or add perforations.
Cardboard - cuts very well. It is a fantastic material for prototyping with the laser cutter. It is a cheap and cost-effective way to make a basic prototype of your product. The laser cutter is also very good at making cardboard pieces for packaging and shipping.
Plywood - can be good for laser cutting as long as you pick the right stock.
Cork - can be laser cut or etched as long as it is 100% natural.
Fabric - as long as it doesn't contain vinyl or chlorine most fabrics work well with the laser cutter. Most fabrics can be both laser cut and laser etched.
Glass - can only be laser etched.
Ceramic - can only be laser etched.
Rubber - works great for stamps as long as it is 100% natural.
Painted Metals - can be laser etched or laser marked only.
Leather - can be both Laser etched and marked with ease. It also cuts very well.
Marble - laser etches very well but cannot be cut.
Matte Board - can be both laser etched and laser cut.
Mylar - can be laser cut makes great stencils.
Pressboard - can be both laser etched and laser cut.
Wood Veneer - can be both laser etched and laser cut.
Tile - can only be laser etched.
- ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene)
- Acrylic (also known as Plexiglas, Lucite, PMMA)
- Delrin (POM, acetal) – for a supplier, try McMaster-Carr.
- High density polyethylene (HDPE) – melts badly
- Kapton tape (Polyimide)
- Mylar (polyester)
- Nylon – melts badly
- PETG (polyethylene terephthalate glycol)
- Polyethylene (PE) – melts badly
- Polypropylene (PP) – melts somewhat
- Two-tone acrylic – top color different than core material, usually for custom instrumentation panels, signs, and plaques.
- Depron foam – often used for RC planes.
- Gator foam – foam core gets burned and eaten away compared to the top and bottom hard shell.
- Cloths (leather, suede, felt, hemp, cotton)
- Magnetic sheets
- Rubbers (only if they do not contain chlorine) – for a supplier, try McMaster-Carr
- Teflon (PTFE, Polytetrafluoroethylene) – for a supplier, try McMaster-Carr.
- Woods (MDF, balsa, birch, poplar, red oak, cherry, holly, etc.) – we stock various thicknesses of birch plywood. For other types of wood, try Inventables.
Award and Trophy
We can cut or engrave award and trophy from a large variety of materials.
We can create a custom gift or engrave on something you bring in.
We can laser cut or engrave a Christmas ornament for you. Put your name or image on a ornament.
We can create individual letters to 31 x 45.
We can make anywhere from one name badge to as you need for your company or event.
We can create intricate and complex stencils up to 31 x 45.
We can make custom stamps out of 100% rubber.
We can laser cut or engrave a variety of leathers.
We can laser cut wedding invitations, birthday cards or invitation.
We can help you prototype and fabricate your new product ideas.
We can laser cut fabric as long as it does not contain vinyl or Chlorine.
The Cannabis Industry
We laser cut jars, tubes, displays, and more!
We can laser cut custom foam inserts.
We work with different industries:
- film and television
- custom prop building
- architectural firms
- trophy shops
- event planners
- print shops
- Graphic designers
- The Graphic design shops
- Maker spaces
- Hacker spaces
- The s.t.e.m. community
- Companies looking to do large-scale manufacturing
- To Canabis industry
- and more!